Thursday, June 16, 2005

Another perfect non-sequitur from the American left

While perusing the morass of sameness that is Air America's website tonight, I thought I'd wake myself up by shopping for a bumper sticker from one of their advertisers, dontblamemeivoted4kerry.com. And guess what? I found one I like!




You'll find this marvelous sentiment for sale in the category of "Pro Democrat Progressive Anti-Right Wing Products." Methinks the moonbat doth protest too much. I know my punctuation, and I don't think "anti-right wing product" means what they wanted to say. (Sounds like something you buy when you want the wrong part for your plane. Or maybe feather moisturizer for a duck's left wing.) I know what progressive means, and this bumper sticker is certainly progressive--let's keep religion out of the business of determining rights. But pro-Democrat? What are Democrats doing for people whose rights are being restricted by religion? Not much.

In fairness, let's not forget that Bill Clinton did nobly ignore the misguided pacifism of his own party and send B-52s to halt the genocide of Muslims by Christians in the former Yugoslavia. Earned us the muffled appreciation of the Albanians, for what it's worth. It was Clinton's finest hour ... makes him a sort of one-hit-wonder in the Hit Parade of the executive branch. For his troubles, he received plenty of flak from the American left, including this caricature from The Progressive.


You try to do the right thing for a change ...


Aside from that brief anomaly, however, the Democrats can't really seem to get themselves mobilized against the oppressive forces of theocracy unless the object of scorn is the over-inflated bop bag of the Christian right. As I write, Sean Penn embarks on a new career as the left's favorite foreign correspondent, deftly downplaying the violent nature of Iran's Islamic oligarchy:
[Penn] told a film student during a visit to Iran's Film Museum in Tehran on Monday that the "Death to America" slogan chanted each week at Friday Prayers hurt Iran-U.S. relations.
"I understand the nature of where it comes from and what its intention is," he said. "But I don't think it's productive because I think the message goes to the American people and it is interpreted very literally."

So they mean "Death to America" metaphorically? I'll buy that. I've always thought that the mullahs' true underlying meaning was closer to "Raise the Banner of Primitivist Islam Over the Bloodied Corpse of Modern Ideals of Freedom and Equality."
Oh ... that's not it either?

I have a feeling that Penn may be learning a lesson in Iran, and his pro-tyranny tone may change a little once he is safely out of their airspace. On the other hand, I may just be letting my admiration for his acting skills and my irrepressible optimism get the better of me. We shall see. Maybe he didn't like getting his camera confiscated. But then he can't really complain--it's not like the Ayatollah hit him on the head with a rock.

I think I'll buy a big stack of these bumper stickers and send them to the Women's Automobile Drivers Association of Saudi Arabia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fred Mangels said...

In case you missed it, interesting article on who can claim the name of "War Party", or not. You may, or may not, be disappointed:

http://www.amconmag.com/2004_08_02/article1.html

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home