Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Enough of this nonsense

cs
"Please ... stop me before I speak again."

Christopher Hitchens has weighed in on the Cindy Sheehan debate. I find myself disagreeing with Hitchens so much of late that I wonder if I haven't lost my mind.

Bush should simply give her the additional face-time she asks, and quick, before she manages to blow the easily-bored American media into a frenzy over this crap. Hitchens disagrees, and though his argument is typically well reasoned, I can't but help hearing it read in a sort of snooty Maggie Smith accent.
smith
"What dreary sentimental nonsense this all is ..."

True. But wouldn't it be better just dealt with? Take the silly woman on a bike ride. Sit down and have coffee with her. Just get her out of the spotlight, for chrissake.

UPDATE: I've removed the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the Secret Service physically assault Sheehan. It wasn't funny to begin with, and now that a Crawford resident vented his anger at Sheehan by driving over part of the memorial she has set up, it's just embarrassing. My apologies.

On the positive side, there's been a glimmer of sense from one counter-protester in Crawford, according to AP:

One woman, who identified herself as an Iraqi immigrant, held a sign across the road from protesters Tuesday that read, "Troop removal = disaster -- keep the promise."

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzette said...

Wow.

All the comments I get on my blog are actually related to the content of the post. So predictable! This is so much more entertaining.

2:11 PM  
Blogger tompain said...

My apologies for not deleting those posts earlier.

tompain

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home