Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Help Katrina's victims, and don't punish the American Red Cross

I just learned from Little Green Footballs that I committed an egregious error in suggesting that those wishing to help the victims of Katrina should donate to the Salvation Army instead of the American Red Cross. According to LGF, the American Red Cross has nothing to do with the policies of the International Committee of the Red Cross and has in fact withheld funds from the ICRC to protest its blatantly biased agenda.

I've amended my earlier post with an update. And I've donated what I can to both the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross. People are suffering. Let's do all we can.

You can donate to the American Red Cross by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW.

You can donate to the Salvation Army by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.

7 Comments:

Blogger Fausta said...

I'm glad about the reminder on the American Red Cross. I linked and posted it at my blog, too.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would still donate to the Salvation Army 84 cents of every dollar goes direct to the cause. In the case of the American Red Cross however, they keep the maximum allowable amount of every dollar. This means that more money goes in red cross pockets, instead of where it belongs.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check the facts on Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org) and you will see the Red Cross gives over 91% to the actual program. This does not include marketing, admin costs, wages, etc. Strictly direct support to the victims. You can also check on give.org.

The Red Cross has always tried to give over 90% directly to the people it assists. I thik for a year or two in like 200-2002 it dipped just below.

I do volunteer time,money and blood to the American Red Cross just for the reasons I have given.

The Salvation Army is a fine organization in and of itself as well. I volunteered during 9/11 for the Red Cross and all the charities like the Salvation Army worked together to assist those in need as much as they could. Many times they are not mutually exclusive.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Douglas said...

Oh my god, there is really much worthwhile data in this post!
California contractors license | Tampa events | jewelry stores in Atlanta

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Brian said...

The author is absolutely right, and there is no question.
play games

6:35 AM  
Blogger Tom Hanks said...

Play now: actions game online
Play now: top action games for pc

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home